- Check the weather forecast for your specific travel period and pack clothes accordingly.
- In summers, windcheaters and light jackets are a must as the mornings and evenings can be very chilly and windy.
- In winters, you will require sufficient warm clothes as it snows here. Bring appropriate winter wear.
- Weather in the hills is very unpredictable – it can rain suddenly and become cold too. So have an umbrella and windcheater handy.
- Apply sunscreen liberally to avoid sunburn and adverse effects of UV rays. The ozone layer around the hills is thinner, leading to more skin problems. Hence, it is always advisable to apply sunscreen and carry a wide-rimmed hat as well.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes for all your sightseeing tours in Manali. Cars and transport modes can only go part of the way – the rest needs to be covered on foot. Leave the heels at home.
- Especially for trekking, you need comfortable walking shoes with a sturdy grip and non-slippery sole.
- Pack ID Proof for your hotel accommodation and carry photocopies as well.
- Pack all the personal medications that you need or might need. Being a hilly area, you may not find the exact medications you may need. Also, pack extra for unprecedented events such as a road blockage that delays your return.
- Always apply insect repellents before stepping out in the evening. The hilly tracts with their natural foliage are excellent breeding grounds for all kinds of insects. You would not want to be bitten.
- ATMs of most major banks can be found on Manali Mall Road.
- However, if your hotel is far away from the Mall road or you are going on long sightseeing tours, carry sufficient cash to meet all your needs. Especially in small denominations. Not all places will accept cards or large denomination notes. Sometimes, if some ATMs do not work, you might face a cash crunch.
- Keep a note of the important telephone numbers.
Police : 100
Ambulance : 102
District Control Room : 1077
Emergency Contact Number [Integrated Police/ Fire Station/ Medical Services] : 108
Tourist Information Office (Shimla) : 0177-2658302, 0177-2652561
Tourism Information Office (Manali) : 01902-253531
Tourism Information Office (Kullu) : 01902-222349
Tourism Information Office (Dharamshala) : 01892-224212
Tourism Information Office (Dalhousie) : 01899-242136